One of the points I found intriguing in Mary Anne Doane’s “The Indexical and Concept of Medium Specificity” was her point about the frame. She writes that the frame is the “cinematic equivalent of the ‘this,’” and that when something is framed, different expectations about the aesthetics of what is in the frame are created (140). This is interesting when thought about our discussion of “what is art?” and whether and/or when photography can be (or came to be) classified as art. Or alternatively, what sort of photos qualify as art. However, she isn’t saying that frame equals art, just that a frame makes the viewer feel that they should be judging the subject of the frame by artistic standards. This could be used (and I’m sure it has been, although I can’t think of any specific examples right now) to ironic effect, like when someone frames something that is generally not considered “art,” like a piece of trash, or a popular culture artifact. It plays with the meaning of art and what it means to frame something at all. And I think that the frame doesn’t necessarily have to be a frame per say, but more the viewing environment. For example, with Marcel Duchamp’s Fountain, he took a urinal and signed it. Because it was then shown in museums, the signifying locations of art, it became art. The museum acted as the frame, saying “look at this (as art)”- the second definition for the index.
Monday, October 17, 2011
The Role of the Frame
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment