While reading Barthes reflections, I found that I frequently agreed with him. In doing these posts, I’ve come to many of the same conclusions about photography and thought I was smart and perceptive, but of course I was naïve to think these musings hadn’t been written down before.
Barthes stresses that each observer of a photograph will be struck by different punctums. Thus, only Barthes will know which picture achieves his mother’s essence for him. Still, I find it interesting that for Barthes it was a picture of his mother as a child. In trying to rationalize this, it makes sense, for Barthes sees emotion in photography and the transformative power photography possesses. The object being photographed (namely a person) is aware of being photographed. They change and react accordingly (i.e. perhaps they smile a certain way or tilt their head just so). The person aids the camera in trying to show a particular “essence” of the person. Perhaps this is why Barthes believes a photograph of a person from their early years works best for capturing the essence of a person. Is it that at such a young age, a person is not able to understand the instrument in front of their face and is not able to try to influence the way they are represented? With this thinking then, is a candid shot possible? And if so, (as I do believe a photograph can be taken without the subject knowing), then is this capable of being closer to capturing the “air” of a person? Is the determination of this capture of the essence to be decided upon by outside observers or can a person decide for themselves that a photograph has captured their air? (This last question asked because Barthes focuses a lot on the subjectivity involved in the reading of a photograph. Would Barthes’ mother have chosen that same photograph as the one that captured her best? Can a person make this decision or can they not, based on the fact that Barthes says we are always posing for the camera? Thus, is it up to somebody else to determine when our identity, our “air” has been captured?)
No comments:
Post a Comment