In “Looking Back on Surrealism,”
Adorno posits that the effect of surrealist art lies in its recollection of
images that are “festishes … on which something subjective, the libido, was
once fixated” (89). I think he means to point out that these images refer to
collective fetishes, created by collective childhood experiences. The affective
part of surrealist art is the tension between the familiarity of the images and
their new context—he likens it to psychoanalysis in its “attempt to uncover
childhood experiences by means of explosion” (88).
Adorno’s relation of surrealism to
photography is especially interesting. He writes that, inasmuch as they are
both “a freezing of the moment of awakening, surrealism is akin to photography”
(89). Though I think I understand, to a certain extent, what this means in
terms of his conception of photography (something like the sensation of waking
up and remembering dream-objects but not knowing immediately why they are
familiar or where they came from? Or maybe this is very wrong—he does argue
against the association of surrealism with actual dreams.), I am having trouble
articulating to myself how photography might be conceptualized as a “freezing
of the moment of awakening.”
It occurs to me that the
photographic image’s relation to surrealism might have be connected somehow to
Benjamin’s notion of the aura. In the same way that photography, in its inherent
reproducibility, looses the aura of existing only in a unique time-space, the
images of surrealism also loose aura by disrupting temporal experience in their
confusing reminder of an external and historical fixation.
No comments:
Post a Comment